Death Valley

In August 2006, my brother and I drove from Maine to California. Once we got to California, we ran into this sign, so I took a reference photo and did a painting of it a few years later. When we were stopped to take the sign and explore the breakdown lane, I found an arrowhead beside a bush of dry desert grasses. The arrowhead was covered in a green limestone which had ridges evenly cut in 45-degree angles along the "grip ridge" of the arrowhead. Maybe it wasn't an arrowhead, but rather a blade for cutting things. I put it in my pocket and we traveled down that road you see to the left of the sign up there; we drove towards "Death Valley". I was wearing heavy denim, and it was hot as hell outside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impressions of Autobiographies, Titles, First Lines, and Other Writing Forms

Shrinking House