Point Reyes and Inverness Paintings: The In-Process and Final Compositions

Here are some shots of artwork I did based on photos I took and ideas I had while day-tripping to Point Reyes in October 2013:


Here you can see that I initially put a little sky-wash in the background and made some horizon lines, too.  I am also making use of the masking out process to help the foreground grasses form. I wanted to see what kind patterns I could get to almost make the same upright blade action of the real grass that was there. Additionally, I used the masking tape to protect some of the finer lines I wanted to preserve along the side of the boat and the cabin.

Things were getting a little out of control. The boat was dilapidated in real life. The body of the boat was challenging to paint because the boat itself was 'done up' in a chipping, old, white paint. It was also turning an orange-brown, like the color you see above. 

This is a photo of the finished version. I messed with the grass in the front, darkened the cabin of the boat to a light-light blue, and did my best to fade in some grass with small blue pools of water at the front sides of this boat. The masking tape was kind of helpful. 

My initial hope was to catch the lugubrious nature of this boat set against the strange, thin light of western Marin County a few hours before sunset. It's about 9x14 in size. 

Here are some others I did, below.

This was on the road to the lighthouse on Point Reyes peninsula. The fog was coming in and blocking out the sun in layers. 

On the road to Drake's Beach. I used watercolor for all these pencils on cotton-rag paper. A little pencil under-drawing first then had fun the rest of the way. 



Comments

  1. I like how you balanced the orange of the rusted out hull with the greens and blues of the thriving landscape surrounding....

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! i tried to get the boat's posture as accurate and expressive as possible, meanwhile showing the types of color and lighting I was seeing there

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shrinking House

Death Valley